Thursday, August 15, 2013

Break Up Advice (Though God Knows I'm Hardly Qualified)


So in the last year, I got dumped twice – actually in a six month period, last year, I got dumped twice. And both by… males? Calling them men sounds strange in my mouth, but they certainly weren’t just “boys.” Creatures, we’ll call them creatures. Both times I got dumped, it was by creatures I (at the time) saw myself spending the rest of my life with, and they both made really big impacts on me. These were not light relationships, and as such they were not easy break-ups. And they were both very, very different. But I’ve been plenty of vocal about all this, so we don’t have to rehash it. Enough time has passed.

Oddly, though, as soon as I got my feet back under me (romantically, I mean. Every other area of life, I am currently falling on my face every two steps), a whole slew of my best friends (of which I have many, because I am blessed) got dumped. I won’t air their dirty laundry here because that’s not my business, but it happened to a lot of you guys in a really quick succession. And I remember really distinctly after seeing a movie with one of these friends, the friend asking me “How do you know you’re better? When does it get easier?” I’ve gotten this question from all of you, in one form or another, and I’ve asked it about a thousand times myself before that. I’m not a guru on this shit – I don’t know what I’m doing any more than you guys do, but I want to help you. So I’ve compiled basically an open letter of break-up advice. I hope it’s helpful, but at the very least, know this: I love you, you can do it.

First, do not beat yourself up. This is not your fault. And if it is your fault, rather than slipping into self-loathing, take active, healthy steps towards fixing the problem. But even then, it isn’t really your fault, not to the degree you think it is. You were the best person you can be – and I know this because I was watching all of you grow and put genuine effort into your relationships – and they still decided to walk away. That’s not your fault, that’s them being an idiot. Maybe they’ve got commitment issues, maybe how together your shit is makes them jealous, or most likely, there was a maturity gap between the two of you. But it’s not your fault, so stop laying in bed and saying “If I’d _________, we wouldn’t have broken up.” Nope. That is not how that works. And doing that is not going to make you feel better, so don’t.

Second, it doesn’t get easier quickly enough for you to notice. You don’t go to bed one day miserable and wake up the next morning totally fine. You don’t have the movie Aha! Moment where suddenly your perspective changes and it’s all better. Life, though it tends to cut itself into vignettes, is not a 30 minute episode of How I Met Your Mother, an Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros song isn’t going to play, you’re not going to go running through the rain, and there’s not going to be a Big Moment where suddenly the hurt is gone. And I know that’s awful. You hate sitting there, trying to pretend you’re okay, when really you feel like there’s a hole in your chest cavity. You sleep too much, you eat too little, you can’t pay attention to much of anything, and you constantly catch yourself trying desperately hard not to think of the person who hurt you so badly, and you can’t imagine ever feeling okay again. But it’ll happen, I promise. Eventually, and I wish I could give you a time frame, but I can’t – eventually, you’ll notice you’re sleeping less and eating more, you’re more interested in the things and the people around you, and the hole is gone. It’s a slow process, and you won’t notice it’s happened until months, or maybe even years later, but eventually, I promise, it’ll stop hurting like this. And the best way, I’ve found, to speed up the process, is to stay busy doing things you like doing, not the things you think you should be doing.

Third, don’t over indulge in something… for too long. The first chunk of this, when tomatoes make you cry because that person always ate tomatoes on Tuesday with salt and ranch dressing and you thought it was gross but now tomatoes make you lose your shit, over indulge in something, anything! to keep your mind busy. Spend as much time at work, with friends, in the gym, (probably not at the bar), reading a book, playing a game, anything, as possible. Stay busy. But eventually you’ll get exhausted by whatever it is you’re over indulging in, and that means you’re past the hardest part. At this point, go back to living a well balanced life. You’re not going to feel better yet, but at least you’ll be back to pretending you can function normally.

Fourth, don’t rebound. Don’t use another human being to fill the void, don’t jump from relationship to relationship because you will never catch your breath. And if you catch yourself doing that, get out before you do too much damage to yourself or another human. If you are constantly jumping from one person to another, it means you're using people for the function they can serve, not loving them for who they are. There are people in this life who never figure that out, probably because they're so consumed by the excitement of the chase and the misery of the break up that there is never any calm period during which they can figure out who they really are and what they really want. Don't be that guy (in the gender neutral sense) because I've dated enough of you to know that A) you're dumb and B) you're really, really dumb. And I've been that guy and I've watched you guys date that guy and also act like that guy, which just confirms points A and B.

Fifth, cut off the creature that dumped you. Not forever, just until you’re ready. And then when you think you’re ready, wait like another six months. But trying to stay friends, trying to keep them in your life, just lets the wound fester. Fast and brutal is better than slow and aching, like a Civil War leg amputation. Delete their number and their Facebook, delete their family, all of it. They’ll try to stay in contact, they always do. They try to keep the door open, because that way they can change their mind, and they feel like less of a douchecannoe. Close the door, and let them feel like a douchecannoe, because they are one. And part of this – no break up sex. If you cared about them this much to be this devastated, sex is going to be a violent chemical accelerant on the emotional explosion you already are.

Finally, I wrote this to one of you (you know who you are), and I really liked it because I’m vain, so I’m editing it to be more generally applicable.

Hey -

I'll always have time your crises. At the very least cause I owe you for dealing with Break-Up Cydney, at the most because I care about you.

When we girls (can't speak for dudes) find someone we're head over heels for in all the most intense ways, we bend over backwards to make it work, the whole time forgetting you can't tie yourself in knots to be with someone forever.

The best loves are not the loves that hit us like a bolt of lighting on a sunny day. Those bolt-of-lightning loves are the loves that change us, remodel our insides, and we either become better for them or we carry their scars for the rest of our lives. But the best loves are the ones that sneak up on you, the ones where you wake up one day and realize that the rest of your life is sitting next to you in the bar making a joke, not waltzing across the room making sex eyes at you. Movies lie to us, girls especially, and tell us that we have to change ourselves to fit into the hole this bolt-of-lighting has made in ground.

I don't doubt there was love in your relationship, but there’s a difference between being IN LOVE with someone instead of real, lasting love. Being IN LOVE is not only impermanent, it's not as real. It's still real, just... to a less degree. It's like the Santa Claus of love. Believing it's real makes the magic, and that's worth it in itself, but eventually you realize it won't do for the rest of your life. For at least a couple of you, the creature woke up to that reality, and it's sad they went about dealing with it this way, but try not to focus on that. Focus on the fact that you did the best you could, and eventually a you are going to see that and not need to bend yourself into a pretzel to feel worthy of someone – and vise versa. You’ll find someone else who doesn’t need to be bent into a weird shape to fit with you.

Also, for now you need to burn the bridge, and I’ll tell you why I do it so you understand. I cannot - CANNOT - stay friends with my exes, but they always want to. I just can't go back. I can't go back to the way things were before, and I can't pretend I never loved them so intensely it lit up every corner of my life. My mom says I act, and therefore should treat myself, like an alcoholic to these boys. I get addicted to having them, really having them, and the only way to not let it destroy me is to eliminate access to the addiction. Just like an alcoholic can't have even one drink, I can't have even one conversation. For now, I think it’s safest for you to do this, too.

I hope this helps. And you need to know this: you are not dateable. You are not the person creatures fool around with or have flings with. You are commit-able. You're they one they fall in love with over a slow period of time, then bring to their cousin's wedding cause they're single, then realize they don't want to go to weddings with anyone else. The problem is, most creatures don't realize they want that or deserve that. They want assholes or bitches because they're exciting and because they think its the best they can do. It's frustrating for you, but you are going to go through this a couple times until the creatures around you realize that they deserve a nice person and learn to love themselves enough to let you love them, too.

Be safe,
-C

No comments:

Post a Comment