Monday, November 19, 2012

A small list of my favorite memories

Oh Jesus, trying to write a long blog post on a Czech keyboard is breaking my brain right now. The Zs are switched with the Ys and none of the punctuation is in the right spot. But anyhow, I have an hour to kill between classes on Mondays which I typically fill with running across the square for lunch, but I'm STILL full from my trip to Austria (every woman in the country felt obligated to feed me) so I'm skipping lunch and a killing time on the internet. So I figured I'd compose a small list of my favorite memories cause I'm also feeling a little morose today. These all, obviously, have stories behind them, but I doubt I'll go into much detail. Unless you ask. Also, these are in no special order.

My 20th Birthday - Even if I am less than fond of the person he became and the things that resulting person did, me and the ex used to get along quite swimmingly. And one of my fondest memories in the last couple years is walking together through an art exhibit of Italian painters from the 15-17 centuries while he explained painting techniques to me.

The Prague Botanical Gardens - I am not making a strong case for my happiness being independent of the men I'm seeing, am I? Oh well. I have done and seen a lot of really cool stuff here, and I could make a massive list of those experiences a mile long and still have to leave shit out. But by far my favorite day was the one I spent at the Botanical Gardens with a certain Czech local because it had all my favorite things and still managed to transcend the sum of its parts. We slept in, had a small lunch of his mom's bad ass cooking, I got to see something breathtakingly beautiful, and most of all we talked about anything and everything. I love that, just being with someone so completely that you lose grasp of time.

Saint Patrick's Day - This past St Patty's one of our roommates threw a small party, and I am not normally a party person. But after the guests left, it turned into me and Nick slow dancing around the living room and cuddling with Claire. That moment, listening to Billie Holiday while Nick spun me around the wood floors and Claire watched was a great moment of sunshine in what was otherwise a very shitty quarter for me. And the next morning hung over Chinese and basketball with Alex rounded it all out perfectly.

My grandma's waffles - My maternal grandma passed away when I was 15, and the fact that I didn't know her better is one of my greatest regrets. I'm told I'm a lot like her, in certain aspects. My grandma was a hard, angry woman with a lot of unresolved hurt in her life. But she was also fiercely loyal, giving, and protective. I kind of picture my grandma like an old cranky pit bull, and heaven help anyone who threatened her loved ones. And she was an amazing cook, and as kids we would have run over hot coals for grandma's waffles in the morning. So she'd make us a trade: she would make waffles in the morning if we spent the night at her house. I will, until the day I die, remember with absolute clarity sitting at grandma's kitchen table in the late morning sunlight eating waffles off her brown earthenware plates doused in syrup that came out of a oft- refilled Scrooge McDuck bottle.

Oh frack, class time. This list is by no means complete, fyi.

1 comment: