Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wait, you don't do that?

So yesterday at work when it was super dead, the Boredom Bear decided to strike. The Boredom Bear is just this thing I made up to entertain my coworkers, but instead it ended up being one of those "Men are from Mars and Cydney is from Alpha Centurion 6" moments - for the last 6 months. See, I've been slowly realizing since about, oh, kindergarten, that my childhood ranged from quirky to "How are you a functional human?" But my family is a different blog post or ten, so for now we'll just leave it at I have an off-kilter personality and what I find hilarious other people tend to find annoying and disturbing.

So the Boredom Bear. I'll just run at a coworker, which totally freaks them out, jump and stop right in front of them, throw my arms up and go "Arr, I'm a bear." The first time I did this, I thought it was hilarious, but everyone just looked at me like I'd skipped my happy pills that morning. Convinced I was actually hilarious, I continued doing it, minus the running and jumping, all night long, just randomly shouting "Arr, I'm a bear!" at my coworkers. Still, no one thinks its funny. So I do it now on dead nights just to piss off/weird out the people around me. See, as already expressed, I'm not a huge fan of my job, so the Boredom Bear has the duel benefits of entertaining me and making everyone else a little less happy to be there. No one really asked, either, the reaction was always "You Would."

ASIDE:
Whenever people tell me "You would" after I do something... I was going to say "me" but we'll just go with "quirky", I get both pissed off and flattered. Flattered they've been paying enough attention to me heretofore to classify certain behaviors as unique to me, but also pissed off because they typically say it like a bad thing. So what if I'm 19 and I still write Star Wars fanfiction? It's good, damn it, LeiaLover1918 told me so!

BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMING:
But last night the new girl, who hasn't known me long enough (so, less than a week) to stereotype me asked what I was doing. I thought that was obvious.

"I'm the Boredom Bear."

She didn't really accept that, but she didn't push it and tried instead a different angle "But why?"

Oh, well... explaining that I'm secretly 8 years old to this person who seemed to like me seemed like a bad idea, and then she might ask why again, and explaining that most of my personality is pirated from a 16 year old kid who can figure out biochemistry by himself but doesn't understand the concept of daily hair brushing seemed also like a bad idea so I lied.

"When I was a kid I'd jump out and pretend I was a bear, and my parents would scream and act all scared and now I still kind of expect the same reaction."

Yeah, that's not childish AT ALL. And even though I could see my parents indulging me in such a way, I don't think that ever actually happened. As a kid I was far more inclined to play Robin Hood with the fly swatters (blue and grey, my mom still keeps them under the kitchen counter) than be something so mundane as a bear

But I must have said it with enough of a smile or freaked her out enough that she bought it or dropped it.

No comments:

Post a Comment